- I understand that dancing is an enjoyable form of exercise, which among many advantages promotes good posture, flexibility, strength and gracefulness. I also understand that, like in any physical activity, there naturally exists the risk of injury. Upon signing this registration form, I agree that neither American Youth Dance Theater, Inc. nor its agents or employees will be held responsible in the event of an injury.
- I certify that my child has no condition that, in the exercise of reasonable prudence, would prohibit full participation in activities at American Youth Dance Theater. I agree to inform instructors of any physical or developmental needs that may require special attention. I assume all ordinary risks for my child’s participation in dance classes and hereby release American Youth Dance Theater and its agents and employees, from all liability for any injury or damage suffered in connection with said use of the aforementioned facility and its equipment.
- In case of an emergency and I cannot be reached, I authorize American Youth Dance Theater and its agents and employees, to contact and secure, if necessary, medical attention for my child. I also certify that my child has health insurance.
- I am aware that dance education at times requires “hands on training” in which instructors will gently touch a child’s body to explain proper alignment, positioning or engagement of their muscles.
- I understand that young children who may need assistance in the restroom must have a parent or guardian remain on premises during class. If no adult remains on the premises, I authorize AYDT personnel to assist my child in using the restroom if needed.
- I understand that I am responsible for the supervision of my child prior to and after class and that it is not permissible to leave my child unsupervised.
- I hereby give my permission to American Youth Dance Theater, Inc. to photograph, film, videotape and/or make sound recordings of my child, to quote or publish statements of my child and to use such photographs, films, videotapes, sound recordings and/or other statements in educational and promotional/advertising materials for American Youth Dance Theater. Inc. and for other purposes specified below. I understand that my child may be identified in any photographs, news stories or publications that American Youth Dance Theater, Inc. considers appropriate for release to magazines, newspapers, its world wide website, and/or other publications. I further understand that any such photographs, films, videotapes, sound recordings and/or written works are the property of American Youth Dance Theater, Inc. and that neither my child nor I am entitled to any compensation for or rights in these materials. I release American Youth Dance Theater, Inc. from all liability with respect to the matters covered by this release.
ATTENDANCE/MAKE UP CLASSES
- Students are expected to attend class punctually, and upon the start of class be dressed in proper class uniform, hair tied away from face.
- Students planning to be in the recital may miss no more than 3 classes in the fall or 4 classes in the spring, which they are allowed to make up. Make-up classes must be scheduled with our administrative staff and be done within the session of the child’s absence in the same level class, or in a class one level below. Students may take an age appropriate class in a different discipline in lieu of a make up for a class which is only offered once during the week.
- Students who miss more than the allowed number of absences must schedule a private with their teacher, at the student’s expense, in order to participate in the recital. After 6 absences, student will not be allowed to participate in the recital regardless of any private lessons they may have taken. The recital is a group effort and students whose attendance is not consistent affects the recital preparation process for the whole class. Even if a student schedules additional privates he/she will not be permitted to perform in the recital.
- AYDT loosely bases its school closing calendar on the NYC public school calendar. We do not close for February vacation. Our spring break usually coincides with Easter and Passover. If your child attends a private school whose vacations differ from AYDT’s and he/she is absent on a day that AYDT classes are in session, he/she will be marked absent.
- Make-up classes are allowed when AYDT is closed for school holidays or inclement weather, they must be scheduled within the semester.
- A make-up class does not negate an absence. We allow make-ups as a courtesy to students so they can enjoy the full benefit of their dance experience. However, if a student has more than the allowed number absences, even if he/she does make-ups, he/she can still not participate in the recital unless he/she does a private class with his/her teacher. One private class makes up for up to two additional missed classes.
- Tuition is not prorated due to excessive absence. Classes missed due to late registration will be prorated only for students registering in or after the 3rd week of the semester (based on class availability). Students who miss the 1st or 2nd week of classes may use their make-up classes to catch up.
- If fewer than 3 students show up for a class on a given day, the class length may be shortened at the teacher’s discretion.
- In the event of a teacher’s absence, AYDT will do everything possible to provide a substitute teacher. AYDT is not responsible for notifying parents of substitutes. In the event of an emergency in which a substitute cannot be found, AYDT will combine classes or arrange a make-up class.
- Make-up classes are not offered during the last two weeks before the holiday and spring recitals and during parents’ visiting week.
- IMPORTANT: Students who do not comply with AYDT’s attendance policy will not be allowed to participate in the recitals.
- Students must arrive to class on time. For safety reasons, students arriving more than 10 minutes late will only be permitted to observe class and take notes, they will not be able to participate.
- Participation in the performance is a privilege reserved for students who have met the attendance requirements and have exhibited good classroom behavior during the course of the semester.
- Any student who does not attend the dress rehearsal will not be allowed to participate in the performance. ABSOLUTELY NO EXCEPTIONS FOR ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WILL BE MADE.
- Any students with behavioral problems in class will be put on probation and removed from the performance unless behavior improves significantly.
- Students are cast in dances based on multiple criteria including technical ability, work ethic and attendance. AYDT faculty tries to be as fair as possible when casting dances. Our philosophy is to encourage students to work together as a team and we will not tolerate rivalry between students or parents over casting. AYDT faculty will absolutely not entertain complaints or discussions with parents concerning discontent with casting.
- RECITAL TICKETS: Junior Recital Tickets are purchased through AYDT. Recital Forms (ticket orders, etc.) and information on due dates for the forms can be found in your child’s AYDT Information Folder. Senior Recital tickets are purchased directly from The Kaye Playhouse box office.
- Costumes will be handed out approximately 1-2 weeks before the performance. Recital costume orders are placed at the beginning of each semester. Costumes are ordered a bit larger to leave room for growth.
- Students who take 2 or more weekly classes will be performing in 2 or more recital dances and may have to change costumes during the performance in same gender dressing rooms, assisted by same gender AYDT staff. To ensure privacy and comfort, students changing costumes during a performance must wear a camisole strap leotard in a nude color matching their skin tone under their costume, which remains on as an undergarment during costume changes. This can be purchased at our studio. Due to the amount of performers needing to do costume changes there are no private dressing areas available and students who do not wear a nude camisole leotard undergarment will be disrobing completely in front of other students and teachers whom they may not know. We appreciate everyone’s compliance with this policy to ensure that all students feel comfortable doing their costume change.
- AYDT reserves the right to reschedule or cancel performances. In the event of cancellation, all performance related fees (not including tuition) will be refunded.
- We understand that on occasion a situation may occur in which a student will be unable to participate in the recital. We ask that any student who needs to drop out of the recital for any reason other than a last minute emergency, please notify AYDT no later than 4 weeks before the performance.
- Please be aware that a long, steep staircase leads straight up to our second floor lobby. The stairs should be ascended and descended slowly and carefully while holding the hand rails. Children must be accompanied by a parent or caregiver at all times.
- Our main entrance/exit must remain clear. Strollers must be folded and left in designated area. If you cannot or do not wish to fold your stroller, you may leave it on the sidewalk at your own risk. Any strollers left unfolded in our entrance will be placed on the sidewalk by AYDT staff.
- For safety reasons, students who arrive more than 10 minutes late and miss the warm-up part of class, will only be permitted to observe the class.
- Children’s ordinary belongings may be left neatly in dressing rooms. Keep valuables with you. AYDT is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- AYDT rules and policies, dress code, attendance policy and school calendar are available on our website. Recital information is sent to parents via email. JR division and younger SR division students are provided with an AYDT Information Folder containing all necessary documents for the semester (recital details, etc.) along with general school information and a copy of our Rules and Policies. Folders should be brought to each class. Young children receive stickers on their folders as a reward for age-appropriate good behavior at the end of each class.
- Please observe proper Dress/Hair Code. No costumes, tutus or dress-up clothes. No street shoes allowed in the studios.
- Students should use the bathroom before class.
- Parents should pick up children promptly after class and advise administrative staff if someone else will be picking up your child.
- Windows in studio doors are provided for quick and quiet viewing of ongoing classes. Parents and caregivers may not stand in front of classroom doors for prolonged periods as it is disruptive to the class and causes crowding of our hallways. Parents are invited to watch class once per fall/spring session.